The Monarch Monitoring Project is a long-term study on monarch migration through Cape May, NJ. It is a part of the New Jersey Audubon Research Department, and closely affiliated with the Cape May Bird Observatory.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Meet Rebecca Zerlin

You don't hear much from the Monarch Monitoring Project during the off season, but we have work to accomplish throughout the year.  One of our most important tasks is to hire our seasonal Field Naturalist Interns for the fall.  This year we received many applications from highly qualified, impressive young biologists and naturalists.  It wasn't easy to make our selections, but we're excited about the two who have been hired.  Yesterday we introduced you to Stephanie Augustine, and today we hand the blog over to Rebecca Zerlin, who will be coming to Cape May from Allenton, Wisconsin.  We hope that all of our followers will help us welcome Stephanie and Rebecca to Cape May and to the Cape May Bird Observatory's Monarch Monitoring Project.



I graduated in 2014 from Unity College (in Maine) with a double major in Wildlife and Ecology. Since graduating, I've held a few seasonal jobs in the conservation field.  My top favorites so far have been working on prescribed burns and monarch tagging, so I am very excited to be joining the monarch team at Cape May!

Growing up, I  remember learning about metamorphosis with the Monarch being using as our model. Since then, I've always been so excited whenever I see one flying around. It takes me right back to being a kid again, and I think that's a similar feeling for a lot of people. I love how passionate people are about Monarchs, and I can't think of anything better than seeing that excitement from people as they learn about them.



No comments:

Post a Comment